15 Gina Rodriguez Facts And Why She Ditched The LA Scene (Mostly)

May 2024 ยท 2 minute read

One of Rodriguez's most passionate causes is advocating for more Latinx representation on screen and behind the scenes of Hollywood. According to Time, she began a campaign in January 2016, called "Movement Mondays," to support and celebrate Latinx actors. If you are a fan, this probably won't surprise you since Rodriguez has been talking about Latinx representation for the entirety of her career. "I felt very alone growing up. I didn't feel represented. I didn't feel a part of the conversation," she told Cosmopolitan. "And if you see yourself projected, you believe you are worthy, valuable."

It is not just the quantity of Latinas on screen that Rodriguez has spoken about, but also the quality of such representations. "The blonde girl with blue eyes doesn't only have to tell a story that we all have lived. We should no longer say that a Latina can't be goofy looking or quirky or funny or have a normal American story," Rodriguez told Desde Hollywood just after the premiere of "Jane the Virgin." It is not lip service, either, since Rodriguez has confessed to refusing to audition for roles that promote one-note stereotypes about Latinas. For instance, she told Backstage that she refused to audition for the show "Devious Maids," despite pressure from others. "My agents said, 'Will you just read it?' I read it and I was like, 'Nope.' And they were like, 'Just read it again," she explained. "And again, it's just not a part of my particular journey."

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7r7XCpKCsr5mbwW%2BvzqZmampjZYF1hI6goKeZXae8pb7IoKyesl2brqTA0maYp5xdrLW6edKhnGacmamwqbHDZquhnV2hrm6%2Fwp6lnmWdpMC1uNho